Author Topic: Dune 2-based Minecraft server now public! Sign up here!  (Read 9320 times)

Offline Drackbolt

• Maker
  • Administrator
  • Well then.
    • View Profile
    • Krizik.com
Dune 2-based Minecraft server now public! Sign up here!
« on: April 24, 2011, 10:44:08 AM »
Server's back up!
199.229.251.21:25565
Dynamic map: http://199.229.251.21:8881/

Oh, and just a quick note; you will burn in the open sun now, like mobs. :)  Only thing that can stop this is a full suit of Leather armor (Stillsuit).  Otherwise you'll have to stay in the shade or the water.  Hunger is also disabled and you will regenerate life over time regardless.

Hey guys,
Well, Brohoster went down in a big way, but it's just as well, since I don't have time to manage the server effectively anymore, and visitors weren't dropping in like they used to.  So, I'm making the world files available to anyone who wants them:
http://krizik.com/minecraft/DuneCraft-WorldFiles.zip
If anyone wants to host the server on their own, be my guest!  I'd love to see what others can do with it if they have more time.  Thanks guys and have fun.

I'm running a Minecraft server at Brohoster now, and I decided to make it public.  Anyone can log in to check things out but you'll have to follow the instructions after you log in to get world-edit permissions; otherwise you'll just be a tourist.  If you have never posted or donated here before please be aware I might not be so quick to add you to the list (since I don't really know you yet), however I'll still consider it if you just ask nicely. :)

The server is up at 50.22.62.244:25568 and currently has a max of 10 players.  Video of the server is up at the YouTube channels.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 09:18:08 AM by Drackbolt »
Creator/Programmer - Dune 2: TGP

Offline excal

• View Profile
Re: Dune 2-based Minecraft server going public!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 09:20:17 PM »
Hi Drackbolt, I've been lurking and watching TGP for quite some time.  As a Minecraft fan, constructing a "Dune II" world sounds like a great idea, and I'd love to help out.  I've been waiting for more info ever since you hinted at it in the blog.  As for access to your server, since I'm not a long-term forum member, I guess I fall under the "asking nicely" category.  :)

I've watched the Dunecraft vids you posted on YouTube, and unless it's been done already, I was going to suggest building a Frigate "landed" on the Harkonnen Starport that you showed off in one of the vids.  That seems like it would be a cool spawn point, plus a cool project to design, period.  If not, maybe we could just have one floating in mid-air, or parked elsewhere. I also have some ideas for the tree dilemma.

There's always concern about griefing, so for what it's worth for "vetting" purposes, I'm a server and forum moderator for the game Red Alert: A Path Beyond.  I'm also on the development team.  My nickname in that community is "ryan3k."

Anyway, my Minecraft name is excalibration.  Hope to see you guys online soon.  Want to get started on building a WOR Facility!

Offline Drackbolt

• Maker
  • Administrator
  • Well then.
    • View Profile
    • Krizik.com
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 10:51:49 PM »
Hey there excal,
Actually I almost banned you, because some spambots use the name "EXcal" sometimes, so your name was flagged.  But I saw your email and found it on a Facebook page for Red Alert so I figured you could be real. :)

At any rate, I've added you to the whitelist.  A Frigate on top of the Starport sounds awesome; I think it should be mid-air with thrusters going underneath.  Maybe like a mile up in the sky.  :D

See you soon on Arrakis.

Offline gusstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 09:06:58 PM »
I would love to join your server and help you build things. I have read the first 5 books and I have played a bit of dune 2. My minecraft user name is 'gusstuff'. I joined the forum so that I could be white listed on your server.

Also what plugins do you have on your server? If you don't have any I would recommend Iconomy, WorldEdit and BigBrother.   

Offline Drackbolt

• Maker
  • Administrator
  • Well then.
    • View Profile
    • Krizik.com
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 09:15:12 PM »
Hey gustuff,

Have you tried D2TGP?  Please do when you have a chance, and join the Steam community if possible. :)

I'm not using any plugins or mods on the server side.  I don't want to get into that until Notch brings out more of his planned mod support.  I've added you to the whitelist so feel free to join in.

Cheers

Offline gusstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 09:27:43 PM »
I haven't played D2TGP. Thanks for adding me.

Offline RoJo_sonof_DoJo

• View Profile
Re: Dune 2-based Minecraft server now public! Sign up here!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 09:42:47 AM »
Hi Drackbolt, my name in minecraft is Rojo_sonof_Dojo, as it is shown here.

In terms of minecraft, I've been playing ssp for a while now, well before the Halloween update. I've played some mp, including the  Sprocketworld and discovr.us servers. I played a pvp server once, but I don't remember the ip. I have a good record with the servers I've played on, though. I've never griefed, and I only pvp when it's part of the server requirements.

In terms of Dune, I have been a member of the Dune2k.com forums for over 9 years. I deeply enjoy the Dune universe, and think about it often. The philosophies inherent in Herbert's writing, I feel, reflect a potentially accurate future for this planet and the universe at large.

On the Dune2k gaming forum, I actually posted a proposal for building a Dune-oriented minecraft server. Granted, my final ideas are kind of out there (sandworms that drop redstone, which is spice, etc.) but I think it would be an interesting sort-of grassroots approach to the Dune MMO that we were promised a long time ago. Presently I'm waiting for the mod API notch recently promised. Learning java would be pretty cool, but I don't really want to have to update mods every ten minutes because the code becomes instable with each update. Anyway, if I can help, let me know. I've downloaded and installed the Dune tileset, and played around with it on my desert map (generated with the beautiful Primordial Desert map generator). I built a Dune 2000-inspired construction yard on a server, but every time I want to take a screenshot (no kidding) it rains or snows. I assume the desert area that it's in was built before official biomes, but whatever the problem is, it's very obnoxious. I'll post a pic when I get a chance, though.

Offline Drackbolt

• Maker
  • Administrator
  • Well then.
    • View Profile
    • Krizik.com
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 11:12:09 AM »
Hey there and well met!

Glad to have you on board.  I'm also waiting to see what Notch has planned for mods, so for now my server is plain vanilla, but the texture pack spices things up a bit (see what I did there).  I've added you to the whitelist so feel free to come in and create something new or just loiter around for sightseeing.

I hope you also give Dune 2: The Golden Path a try when you have a chance.  It's something different at least. :)

Cheers

Offline Drackbolt

• Maker
  • Administrator
  • Well then.
    • View Profile
    • Krizik.com
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 03:47:40 PM »
Just bumping this to make sure people see the address has been changed to a Brohoster site.

Offline iiZeaLoTx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 11:18:22 AM »
Umm yeah, hello, I'd love to join this server and ummm, Yea you might saw me at Youtube and so on... well yea see you at server I think? :p

Account name = iiZeaLoTx.

Offline Drackbolt

• Maker
  • Administrator
  • Well then.
    • View Profile
    • Krizik.com
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 11:22:58 AM »
iiZeaLoTx added to Whitelist.  Follow the rules and have fun. :D

Offline gusstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 05:43:11 AM »
Now that you are putting Mods on the server DrackBolt you should put the mods IConomy and IConomyChestShop.

(BTW I found your house (and your house in the nether) on the server and left you a note.)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 06:48:50 AM by gusstuff »

Offline Drackbolt

• Maker
  • Administrator
  • Well then.
    • View Profile
    • Krizik.com
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 07:17:20 AM »
Cool!  Next time we're both on, let me know how you found it (hopefully it wasn't by spying a missing chunk :P).

Offline Drackbolt

• Maker
  • Administrator
  • Well then.
    • View Profile
    • Krizik.com
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 11:58:02 PM »
Just another bump to mention that the main topic has been altered again.  I now have permissions installed and the server is no longer whitelisted.  This means that you still need to join the forums here and request permissions to build/destroy anything, but if you want to just look around you can log in at any time beforehand and do so.

I've given everyone who was whitelisted before the new permissions to play as normal.  Drop me a line here if you have any issues, because the user names are case-sensitive, so if I don't have your correct case, you won't be able to do much.

Offline gusstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 03:59:22 AM »
Tried to pm this to DrackBolt but it didn't go through. Anyway I'm getting the minecraft error "internal exception java.net.sockettimeoutexception: Read timed out" when I try to go on the server. I did some searching and I think it might be a problem with the server.  ???